October 16, 2011

Bad Influence



I was the bad influence. I was only a teenager. Due to life circumstances, I was forced to grow up at a young age. By the time I was old enough to drive, I was working full time to support myself. I lived with my older boyfriend. I was deemed the "bad influence" by an aunt and uncle, who didn't want me to influence their daughter, simply because I was living with an older boyfriend, out of wedlock. (My parents had granted my boyfriend legal guardianship) I was a good student, I was a good person, I was kind to others, I had morals. I digress....

Unbeknownst to them, their daughter was sneaking out at night and having unprotected sex with boys. She talked to me. I tried my best to steer her in the right direction. It was to no avail. I kept my mouth shut, because I knew that telling her parents would not do any good. They were so strict and allowed her no freedom as it was, and this was her way of rebelling.

Today, many many years later. I am now the "good one", and she "the trouble child". She continues to sleep around (without her husband's consent), she smokes, she does drugs (she's addicted to cocaine), and she neglects her daughter in her usual drunken and drugged stupor.

Oh, and did I mention that the aunt and uncle are both alcoholics, recovering crack addicts, aldulterists, and the uncle had a history of physically abusing the wife and kids?

And I was the bad influence???

No comments: